Visiting Scholars and Researchers - Center for Global Engagement

Visiting Scholars and Researchers

The University of Tulsa welcomes visiting scholars and researchers to campus to collaborate with faculty and staff, as well as use the special collections in the McFarlin Library and the Gilcrease Museum.

A visiting scholar is an individual whose primary purpose for residence on the TU campus is to teach, lecture, or perform independent research on a topic related to his or her expertise. Visiting scholar positions are not compensated and their length of stay is at least a month and generally no more than a year.

Visiting scholars may be granted a variety of privileges including access to McFarlin Library, office or lab space, and eligibility for membership at Collins Fitness Center.

  • Hosting Visiting Scholars

    All visiting scholars must be hosted by a faculty member and have a departmental home.

    The process for hosting an international visiting scholar may require extra time to arrange the necessary documents for the scholar’s visa. Faculty who want to invite a foreign scholar to TU should expected this process may take at least three months, depending upon the scholar’s home country.

    The processes outlined on this website apply only to visitors who have completed their degrees and are seeking an appointment for teaching or research. TU faculty seeking to host visitors who are completing undergraduate or graduate degrees at their home institution should consult with the CGE.

    Faculty who want to invite a scholar to TU should contact their department liaison. They will start the invitation process with the CGE:

    A&S: Stephanie Bolden

    CCB: Lisa Martin

    OCHS: Veronica Goss

    ENS: Sandra Whitaker & Sharon Greene

    Law: Debra Ricketts

    No invitations may be issued without approval by the appropriate academic dean.


  • Process for Inviting a Visiting Scholar

    The following outlines the steps for inviting a Visiting Scholar to TU. These steps are further explained during the application process, which must be completed by the hosting college and scholar in advance of the scholar’s arrival on campus.

    Step 1 – Begin the Inquiry Process

    A scholar may contact a TU department to express interest in a visiting appointment. Such requests are typically initiated when the scholar is applying for a scholarship, fellowship, or similar award for support of his or her research. In such cases, a TU faculty member must agree to host the scholar. The sponsoring faculty may issue a letter of invitation sufficient for a scholars’ application for an external award, but faculty must first consult with the appropriate dean. The sponsoring faculty may make no commitments of TU resources without express approval by the dean.

    Step 2 – Invite the Visiting Scholar to TU

    All Visiting Scholars will receive a zero-pay contract, initiated by the invitation of the appropriate college dean. Only Visiting Scholars issued a zero-pay contract by the appropriate dean will receive a TU ID, e-mail address, and otherwise have official status with the university during their period of stay. The zero-pay contract will outline the terms of the Visiting Scholar’s appointment and any associated campus privileges.

    Step 3 – Notify the Appropriate Offices and Schools


    Office of Research and Sponsored Research: If the Visiting Scholar receives funding from an externally funded grant and/or is an international scholar, the responsible TU faculty member should notify the Office of Research and Sponsored Research.

    Graduate School: If the Visiting Scholar will require access to observe a class, the hosting faculty will be required to obtain permission from the Graduate School.

    CGE: If the Visiting Scholar is not a US-citizen, the hosting faculty member must notify the CGE in order to request the documents required for the Visiting Scholar to apply for a visa.

    English Language Verification: The US State Department has requirements for verifying the English language proficiency of foreign scholars obtaining a J-1 visa. The Visiting Scholar application site details the options for completing verification. Hosting faculty must consult with CGE regarding appropriate documentation that visiting scholars meet this new requirement.

    Step 4 – Secure Housing

    In most cases, housing will be the responsibility of the hosting department or college. Given the demands for on-campus housing, hosts should not assume that they will be able to secure an apartment or other accommodation on campus.

    This Visiting Scholar form must be completed by the hosting faculty member and circulated to all of the indicated people. This form is required in order for a College Dean to issue a zero-pay contract.

  • Visiting Scholar & Researcher Instructions

    Visiting Scholars interact with the University in numerous ways that affect multiple departments across campus. Please review the information below in regards to the J Visiting Scholar you are bringing to campus. Please note this process is not designed to cover full-time or part-time employees. This process is required by the College Dean to issue a zero pay contract and for immigration documents to be issued.

    Please note the following as you complete the following information:

    • In the Department Contact Information section, the Contact Name (including Phone, Email and Campus Address) of the person filling out this form.
    • In the Faculty Sponsor Department Information section, please provide the Faculty Member who is inviting and hosting the scholar.
    • In the Site of Activity Information section, please enter the TU main campus address.
    • In the Funding Information section, please identify the sources of funding the Scholar will be receiving. Scholars can receive funding from a variety of sources: Federal Grants, Foreign Governments, Home Institutions, a TU Department, Personal Funds, etc.  Proof of finances must be attached, e.g. TU offer letter, bank statement or letter from sponsoring organization.  Minimum financial threshold is $2,000.00 per month for the scholar, plus $250 per month for each dependent. If using personal funds, a bank statement will suffice.

    According to the J visa regulations, the insurance must meet the following minimum coverage guidelines:

    (a) Minimum Insurance Coverage – Insurance shall cover: (1) medical benefits of at least $100,000 per person per accident or illness; (2) repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000; and (3) expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000.

    (b) Additional Terms – A policy secured to fulfill the insurance requirements shall not have a deductible that exceeds $500 per accident or illness, and must meet other standards specified in the regulations.

    (c) Maintenance of Insurance – Willful failure on your part to maintain the required insurance throughout your stay in the United States will result in the termination of your exchange program

    Should you have any questions regarding this process, please contact Carla Guthrie at the Center for Global Engagement via email or by phone at (918) 631-2329.

  • Visiting Scholar & Researcher Required Documentation

    Please upload the following required documentation in the Documents tab for the Visiting Scholar or Researcher. (Please use the listed Document Categories below):

    • Passport (Document Category: Passport Identity Page)
    • English Proficiency (Document Category: Proof of English Language Proficiency)
      • For more information on the English Proficiency documentation, please see the Instructions titled English Proficiency Information below.
    • Current CV (Document Category: Curriculum Vitae (CV))
    • Source of Funding Information (Document Category: Financial Support Documentation)
    • Copy of signed contract and/ or invitation letter (Document Category: Invitation/Appointment Letter)

    English Proficiency Information

    The U.S. State Department has regulations requiring Visiting Research Scholars to provide Proof of English Language proficiency. TU is expected to make an evaluation of a Scholar’s English proficiency using an “objective measurement of English language proficiency,” by means of one of the three methods outlined below. Hosting faculty are advised to first consult with the CGE regarding options for a visitor:

    • A Recognized English Language Test: TU will accept a TOEFL, IELTS or other commonly recognized English language tests. There is also an online exam through J-Check (preferred) or Duolingo available for a fee. The Scholar will be expected to present a TOEFL score of 60 or equivalent.
    • Signed Documentation from an Academic Institution or English Language School: TU will accept signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school. This would be a diploma or proof of completion from a program that specializes in intensive English language instruction. (Examples such as English Language Institute, University Language Institute, ELS – these are all intensive English language programs in the Oklahoma area).

    You will be required to upload proof of the Scholar’s English Language Proficiency in the Documents tab.

  • TU Admin and Scholar LOGIN