Students selected into the TU Global Scholars program will join a community of scholars engaged in global issues. They will come together several ways.
- All TU Global Scholars will take three block (general education) classes that explore the big questions affecting the world today.
- Global Scholars also will study a foreign language, research, intern or study abroad, and examine global issues from the perspective of their particular major.
- There will be monthly programs consisting of guest speakers, field trips and discussion about current global events.
- There is no cost beyond TU tuition to participate in the program. Global Scholars will be eligible for travel scholarships during their time in the program.
As part of their Sustainability and Development Course, Global Scholars will travel to Panama to visit a coffee plantation, a pineapple farm, a teak farm, and a compost farm in the north. Then they will travel to Panama City to visit the Panama Canal, Panama Pacifico, The City of Knowledge, and a green energy tech company that helps villages plan for sustainable energy courses. Students will also visit with city official who will talk about urban development in downtown and old town Panama City.
Global Scholars Eligibility
- An incoming Freshman, current Freshman or transfer Freshman
- Completed Global Scholars application and supporting materials by the posted deadline.
- Application for current Freshmen or transfer Freshmen *DEADLINE FOR FALL 2019 COHORT IS JANUARY 15, 2019*
- Application for incoming Freshmen *DEADLINE FOR FALL 2019 COHORT IS JANUARY 15, 2019*
- Passion for global education and cross-cultural experiences in a challenging academic environment.
For information about the academic requirements, visit the Global Scholars Program in the course bulletin.
A committee made up of faculty from all four undergraduate colleges selects students admitted into the TU Global Scholars program. Students will be selected based on academic credentials and essays describing their experience and/or interest in global issues. Acceptances are rolling. For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.