What is JumpstartTU?
JumpstartTU is a one-week international experience designed to serve as an introduction to the University of Tulsa’s (TU) academic and campus life through a transformative, intensive experience in Panama or Mexico.
First-year students enrolled at TU experience JumpstartTU in July prior to beginning their first semester of college. Core values of JumpstartTU include:
- building curiosity and excitement about entering college.
- focus on learner-centered education through engagement with our local partner organizations.
- emphasis on team collaboration and interdisciplinary discovery, and
- help students engage with Panamanian communities to discover similarities and differences from our own U.S. communities.
Students travel to Panama or Mexico alongside TU staff and faculty and work in small teams.
JumpstartTU exposes students to the importance of collaborating with a multitude of experts to learn global issues, the unique biodiversity characteristics of Panama, global trade, world consumption, and the culture of indigenous people and their contributions to Panama and Mexico.
- Panama – July 7-14, 2023
- Mexico – July 28-August 4, 2023
$2,500 | Need-based Travel Grants are available (from $500-$2,250)
Includes airfare from Tulsa or Houston to Panama City or Tulsa or Dallas to San Luis Potosi, Mexico, accommodations, local transportation, all entrance fees and activities, 3-day field experiences with the Panamanian or Mexican partners, some meals, local guides, travel insurance. Students will be accompanied by TU staff, faculty, and peer mentors.
Deadlines and Contact Info
Application deadline: March 15, 2023.
Acceptance and Travel Grand Notification: April 1, 2023
Payment Due: May 5, 2023
Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org or 918-631-2329